Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow

I woke up to snow Thursday. I took one look out the window and strongly considered not going to class....but at the last minute I pulled myself out of bed and threw on some clothes and a hat and bundled up to brave the cold. I chose to go a different way to class. Grant said that going on Rue Colbert was faster than the way we had been taking for the last few weeks, so I decided to try it. And I will be taking that way from now on, regardless if it is shorter or not. The street was cobblestone and is lined with the most beautiful buildings: little shops, crêperies, cafés and pubs. The snow was falling in huge flakes from the sky in all directions. I felt like I was in a snow globe. I took my time walking to class because I was enjoying myself and surprisingly, I got there in 15 minutes flat. Class was short and easy, and I met Katie afterwards for lunch in Place Plumereau which was incredible. It started out bad though because I dropped my iPod and cracked the screen...luckily it still works. But I still went out and bought a case for it so that I can protect it. Then Katie and I went for Chocolate Chaud (hot chocolate) at a little pub nearby. It was a relaxing afternoon. On my way home I passed the music building and thought I'd try to find a piano I could use. I wandered up to the 3rd floor and found a small studio with a piano and a great view of the building across the way. I played for almost an hour. It was really great to get my hands back on the keys after almost 2 months! After that I came home and spent the rest of the day in bed watching the snow fall. It was a good day :) :)

Friday I spent with Romain and his Dad. We watched Rugby and ate baguettes while I tried to teach Romain where all the states were in the US using an online game, he got pretty good by about the 4th try. Then we tried my smarts at French cities. I failed. Miserably. But now I know a few. Romain's dad doesn't speak a word of English so I had to speak French all day...good practice :)

Saturday I spent resting getting ready for my trip to Paris this weekend! But nothing notably interesting to talk about. We went out with all of our friends for a little bit that night to a place close by our house. But it was so cold out, even if it is a short walk.

Then today, Valentine's Day. A day I normally dread, but Romain asked me to be his Valentine. And yes, they have Valentine's Day in France. He bought me pink lilies. My favorite flower! Then I went out with him and all his friends - Alban, Aurelien, Thomas, Davy, Romain, and me - to their favorite bar that was closing indefinitely. They all got their French 'mini' coffee and I got a vin chaud (hot wine), which is supposedly a girly drink because they all made fun of me for it, haha. I really enjoy being with all of them even though when they talk fast I only get about 1/4 of what they are saying. Then Alban and Romain took Mamie and I on a double date to the Pasta Café. Honestly, the food wasn't good but it's so fun to be with the two of them making fun of the language barrier that it barely mattered. They got us all champagne and it was just a really good time. Then Romain said to us (in French of course), "Ladies, now we have two choices. One, we could either stay here and eat dessert, or two, we can leave and go to McDonald's and get McFlurries." We opted for McDonald's, so we all hopped in Alban's car and went to get McFlurries! It was a really fun night. Really relaxed. It was just a really good Valentine's Day!!

Tomorrow I'm headed to Paris! My first time and I can't wait! We leave at 10:22 from Gare de Tours Central. It's only Mamie and I going to Paris, but Aaron and his friend from home, Mitchell, are going on the train with us on their way to Amsterdam. If you have any suggestions on where I should go in Paris please comment under this post! I'm not sure I'll have internet but I hope to keep up my blogging while I'm gone! Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment