Saturday, April 24, 2010

La Playa y Park Güell

April 8th, 2010

I woke up to my alarm at 10am. Valeria immediately woke up and yelled, "It's ten o'clock?" I'm like "yeah..." then she goes, "in the morning??" She made me have to think really hard about it. It was too early for me to know...but how could it be 10 at night....?

When we finally did pulled ourselves out of bed and opened the windows, there was blue sky and sun! We decided to go to the beach in Sitges first since it was sunny and later it was supposed to rain. We were at the beach for about 3 hours. We took so many pictures running in the freezing cold water and writing in the sand. It was a beautiful day.

Then we took the train to Barcelona and the metro to Park Güell. It's a park on the top of the mountain and you can look over the whole city. We had to walk up a road that looks like it was in San Francisco, they even installed escalators near the top so you wouldn't have to walk the whole way. The view from the top was beautiful. You could see all the way out to the ocean. Then we walked down to the actual park. It's a gorgeous park with mosaic benches and 2 buildings with mosaic roofs and a mosaic lizard. We ate lunch there and then took the metro back down the mountain.

(Up above that green between the buildings is where we had to go!)

We spent the next few hours (honestly hours) looking for a post office and apparently they don't exist in Barcelona, or Spain for that matter, because there was not one to be found. When we finally did find a place to buy stamps we were right down by the beach, and Val and I very impulsively decided to go on a boat ride. It took us all the length of the Baceloneta beach. I even got to ask a French man in French to take our picture. Barcelona is filled with Frenchies.

When we got back we got on the metro to the Montjuïc fountain again. but when we got there it wasn't going. We waited for a few minutes and then went to look at the show schedule. It was so hard to read but we finally figured out that in winter the shows are only on Friday and Saturday. It was Thursday. So we decided to give it up. We went back to Celia's where they met us and took us out to dinner at a Korean restaurant. We all got one thing and shared it. And of course we got a bottle of wine. They then took us out to a jazz club where they kept buying us drinks. We'd say no and they'd say, "You're in our country now! You're going to have one more!" So we had a lot of fun and heard a lot of funny stories about her and my uncle. After the club we went home and crashed. It was a fun fun day.
(This is where the fountains were supposed to be)

(Celia and Alfred at the Jazz club)

No comments:

Post a Comment